A 76 yr old retired village officer. Was suffering from persistent barking cough since last 6 months. Tried all treatments, no relief. Cough caused by tickling in throat. Tough, viscid expectoration. Persistent hoarseness. Cough aggravated by lying down. Better open air. < warm room. < evening. Generally hot. Involuntary dribbling of urine day and night- not related with cough. Sleep was very restless, with a recurring dream of somebody pushing him into a well. Cough was so violent that it was difficult to take the case properly. He was coughing so violently in front of me. I felt him sympathy, and wanted to give some relief instantly. I noticed a peculiar behavior during his coughing. He will grasp the throat forcefully with both his hands once the cough starts, and will leave it only after the paroxysm ends. I felt it a very peculiar symptom.
Selected the following rubrics using Similimum Ultra software, and repertorized with QUICK PICK method.
ALLIUM CEPA was selected and given 30c tds, as well as advised to take frequently during paroxysms of cough. It relieved his persistent cough, hoarseness immediately,and involuntary dribbling of urine by 2 months . Later, sulphur was given a few doses as constitutional similimum, after repertorising using physical generals and mentals only.
1. [Kent]Larynx and Trachea : PAIN : Larynx : Coughing, on : Grasps the larynx
2. [Kent]Bladder : URINATION : Involuntary : Old people, in
3. [Kent]Sleep : DREAMS : Wells, of being let down into
4. [Kent]Sleep : RESTLESS
5. [Kent]Cough : TICKLING : Larynx, in, from
6. [Kent]Larynx and Trachea : VOICE : Hoarseness
7. [Kent]Cough : LYING : Agg
8. [Kent]Cough : AIR : Open : Amel.
9. [Kent]Cough : WARM : Room
10. [Kent]Cough : BARKING
11. [Kent]Expectoration : VISCID
12 . [Kent]Cough : EVENING
13 . [Kent]Generalities : HOT REMEDIES (Gibson Miller’s)