35 year old woman. Asthmatic since 10 years. Persistent dry cough. Expectorates large quantities of white, mucous during morning only. Persistent salty taste in mouth. Cough relieved temporarily by expectoration. > by warm drinks. Aggravation by exertions. Weakness, always desires to lie down. Cold dry weather agg. Lean body. Violent paroxysms of cough starts instantly whenever anything salty or pungent such as pickles touches the tongue. Chilly patient. Dandruff, with intolerable itching of scalp-scratches until bleeding. Her husband said her asthma started after the death of 1 year old daughter of her sister due to choking while she was feeding the child. She believes the death of child was caused by her negligence, and had to undergo psychiatric treatment for suicidal dispositions after that. Asthma started after that incident. Weeping, tearful disposition. Aversion to food, she says she does not feel appetite. Habit of eating raw rice. Bouts of hiccough after eating. Nausea after eating. Constipation during menses. Copious leucorrhoea after menses. Menses late and very scanty.
Since it was a well taken case with enough symptoms, I decided to repertorize using ‘totality method’
Repertorisation Result – Totality Method : Sep.(54/23), Sulph.(53/25), Alum.(51/28), Phos.(51/25), Ars.(46/22), Nat-m.(46/20), Sil.(46/22), Nux-v.(44/20), Graph.(42/19),
SEPIA came first with 54 marks and 23 out of 29 rubrics. But ALUMINA tops in rubrics, by covering all 28 rubrics with total 51 mas. SULPH has 53 marks and 25 rubrics. PHOS has 51 marks with 25 rubrics.
Then I decided to go for COMBINE METHOD of repertorization provided in SIMILIMUM ULTRA. Elimination was done using mentals and generals.
Repertorisation Result – Combined Method Eliminate Using – Selected Symptoms
Totality Using – All Symptoms: Alum.(51), Ars.(46), Nux-v.(44), Rhus-t.(31)
Now, I have to decide the similimum from SEPIA, SULPH, ALUMINA and PHOS.
I decided to use ‘CRAVING FOR RAW RICE’ and ‘PAROXYSMS OF COUGH WHILE SALT OR PUNGENT THINGS TOUCH ON TONGUE’ as final ‘pivotal symptoms’, since these two symptoms were very peculiar. Only ALUMINA covered these two symptoms.
ALUMINA was finally selected as the similimum. Alumina 30c was given TDS for one month, then BDS for one month, followed by daily one dose for 4 months. Whenever symptoms aggravated, ALUMINA was given 3 hly doses. It cleared the case by 6 months. To ensure complete cure, a few doses of SEPIA, SULPH and PHOS were also given at the later stages, as many of the constitutional symptoms were covered by those drugs also.
COMPLETE RUBRICS SELECTED:
1. [Kent]Respiration : ASTHMATIC
2. [Kent]Cough : DRY
3. [Kent]Expectoration : MORNING
4. [Kent]Expectoration : WHITE
5. [Kent]Expectoration : COPIOUS : Morning
6. [Kent]Cough : EXPECTORATION amel.
7.[Kent]Generalities : FOOD : Warm drinks amel.
8. [Kent]Generalities : EXERTION, physical : Agg.
9. [Kent]Cough : IRRITATING things, such as salt, wine, pepper, vinegar, immediately start cough
10. [Kent]Generalities : COLD REMEDIES (Gibson Miller’s)
11. [Kent]Head : DANDRUFF
12. [Kent]Head : ITCHING of scalp : Bleeds, must scratch until
13. [Kent]Mind : ANXIETY : Conscience, of (as if guilty of a crime)
14. [Kent]Mind : SUICIDAL disposition
15. [Kent]Mind : WEEPING, tearful mood, etc
16. [Kent]Stomach : AVERSION to : Food
17. [Kent]Stomach : APPETITE : Diminished
18. [Kent]Stomach : DESIRES : Rice, dry
19. [Kent]Stomach : HICCOUGH : Eating : After
20. [Kent]Stomach : NAUSEA : Eating : Eating, after
21. [Kent]Rectum : CONSTIPATION : Menses during
22. [Kent]Genitalia – Female : LEUCORRHOEA
23. [Kent]Genitalia – Female : LEUCORRHOEA : Menses after
24. [Kent]Genitalia – Female : MENSES : Late
25. [Kent]Genitalia – Female : MENSES : Scanty
26. [Kent]Generalities : WEAKNESS, enervation
27. [Kent]Generalities : LIE down, inclination to
28. [Kent]Generalities : LEAN people
29. [Kent]Generalities : COLD : Dry weather agg.